Happy New Year everyone! With 2011 behind us it’s time for us to look forward to 2012 and beyond. In looking forward, I like to set a number of goals that keep me motivated and on target for an enjoyable retirement and financial freedom. As you know, 2011 was a HUGE failure for me in many ways. In other ways it was an enormous success. Some of these were measurable in dollars and cents. Others weren’t.
So for 2012, I decide to break up my list of goals into three groups of 4. Each of these is designed to track one of my three rough sections of my life: Family, Work and Me. I call it the “reset” year because, in many ways, I’m starting over. I want to refocus on quality time and getting to a higher level in many aspects of my life. I’m stripping down much of my life to the basics and then attempting to build on solid ground. No houses of cards. I’ll focus on doing what it takes to build solid structures around my family and me.
Of the 4 in each category, one of them is a pie in the sky goal that is virtually impossible for me to attain unless the other 3 are rocked and everything goes perfect for me. I like having these around. As you’ll see, some of the goals have sub parts that make it more than 12 technically. But 12 for 2012 sounds much better than 14 or 17 for 2012. Plus, it’s my blog and I can do what I want!
Because of the length of the list and the posts I’m going to break them down to put a good focus on each category. So today we’ll talk about “family” goals. Tomorrow we’ll talk about “work” goals. And check back Wednesday for “me” goals. OK. Let’s dig in.
Family Goals for 2012. Spending quality time with my wife and kids.
- Take one family vacation of at least one week and shut off my phone and Internet. Don’t worry, I’ll set up posts for “y’all” when I’m away, but you’ll have to talk amongst yourselves in the comments until I return…
- Take at least one vacation with just my wife and me, leaving the kids with family. I won’t be shutting off my phone for this one, just in case we’re needed for the kids. But this one will be “sans Internet” as well. Again, you’ll have to talk amongst yourselves in the comments until I return. Play nice.
- 44 date nights. That’s right ladies! I’m going on 44 dates this year.
Unfortunately for you, though, they will all be with my wife My wife and I have trouble doing weekly date nights. It usually ends up being twice per month or less. That’s not fair to her or “us.” So that needs to change.
- Be home at least one hour per day with the phone and TV off and computer closed. I am often “home” but I’m not really “there.” I’m blogging, working, or vegging with a combination of TV, computer and phone. Not good. So the plan is to be “there” more. It’s going to be tough to “score” this, but I’ll try and figure out a way. Unfortunately this might be my pie in the sky goal for this category.
- BONUS Goal: Read at least 12 books about being a better father and/or husband. I’ll keep a reading list going somewhere here. My first books is going to be Boys Should Be Boys: 7 Secrets to Raising Healthy Sons, which I’ve already started. So far I like it. I’d appreciate any suggestions for an uber-busy 33-year-old man married to a woman with a 2.5 year old son and 4 month old daughter. Feel free to leave suggestions in the comments or e-mail me.
So there it is! 4 family goals. If I crush all of these I suspect my family will be stronger and happier by the time we’re sipping champagne at midnight in late December.
What are your family goals for 2012? Did I miss anything that’s a must-do? Don’t assume I got everything else right with my family. I say a lot of stupid things… maybe another bonus goal would be to say less stupid things in my life… hmmm… now I’m rethinking my goals!
Until next time, put your credit card down and slowly step away from the mall!
Like what you see here? Tell your friends by sharing it with one of the buttons below. Post this to Facebook or Tweet it to help your friends and family, too. And don’t forget to send me an e-mail or comment to say hello. I love hearing from you.