OK, it’s not completely about me. But I wanted a special focus on doing the things that make only me happy directly. Sure much of this stuff will make my family stronger, I believe. And much of it can make me a better team member at work because I’ll be more fulfilled and fitter. But these are really directly “me” goals.
Yesterday, we talked about my work goals, so I’m not ignoring those in favor of these. And Monday we talked about my family goals, which I intentionally included first because I felt they were more important. But today we focus on “me.”
So let’s dig into my “me” goals for 2012.
- Lead Step Away from the Mall to a top 250,000 website. I phrased it this way on purpose to emphasize that it’s not a goal just to be in the top 250,000 for the sake of being a popular website. I want to “lead” it there so I’m helping and/or entertaining as many people as possible through this site. The number is just an easy way to measure it. For this I’ll need your help, so spread the word please. If you find this site interesting or useful, tell 5 friends and ask them to do the same. (I’ll use alexa as a guide. Right now I’m at about 1.3 million (which is still pretty cool if you ask me), so it will certainly be a challenge. But I ebbed and flowed with my posting this year due to a lot of baloney that will not be around this year. So you can count on me being here. Let me know what you want to see/hear. I’m here for my readers (and to vent a bit, for sure). Which leads me to my next goal…)
- Stats: Post at least 260 posts here. That’s at least one per day every weekday. Mark your calendars! I also am building a Facebook community and Twitter following. I’d like to have at least 250 “followers” on Facebook. I’m at 2 on Facebook. Yes, 2. I just set it up a week or two ago and haven’t promoted it yet, but I want to build up a great community there. So please “like” me on Facebook and let’s get chatting. And I’d like to have 500 followers on Twitter. I’m at 200. So follow me please. To be clear, I won’t just post for the sake of posting. I have a lot to say :) But I’d rather fall short on this goal than reach it by posting crap. If you see crap, let me know.
- Track and increase my net worth by 50%. As you can imagine, my net worth isn’t crazy high or else 50% would be pretty tough. But it’s positive and more than my salary, so that’s good. I’m thinking of tracking it here using a zero-based net worth tracking system that Evan over at My Journey to Millions uses. I like to be more “open” on this blog and want to track my finances for you all. I also don’t include my wife’s side of the ledger on this for a few reasons. I know it’s controversial, but I have my reasons – mainly she probably wouldn’t want me sharing that info about her. I also like the idea of semi-privacy by starting at zero and using monthly updates to check in on my progress. If I ever blog full time I may open it all up here. Don’t worry I’ll explain my reasoning for all of this mumbo jumbo more in February when I update you all. By definition, my January 1 net worth is 0! Well, I guess technically it’s 0%!
- Exercise no less than 130 times and no more than 182 times. This keeps me in the 2.5 to 3.5 times per week range. That’s where I want to be. I’m not competing in any body building competitions so more than that is excess and unneeded. Less than 2.5 times per week starts to hurt me in the other direction. So that’s the goal. Oh, and running a mile or two doesn’t count. I’ll update this as I go, but I do some pretty crazy workouts, which I think are fun and others think are nuts. Those count. And running at least a 5k counts. I’ll try and run a few of those this year along the way.
- BONUS Goal: Create at least two streams of significant income online, at least one of which involves designing and selling a product online. It might not relate to this site or anything like that, but I want to start having more sources of income and think “the Internet” provides some great opportunities if you focus on quality products that can actually help people. By the way, “significant” doesn’t mean six figured or anything. I’m baby-stepping this side of my life. I really don’t know how much is reasonable with this, but I’d like to see at least $2,000 per month by the end of the year.
So that’s it! It’s quite a bit I’m sure. Hopefully I knock them out of the park. Yes, they’re selfish, but if I nail them all a lot of people will be better off other than me. So it’s not all about “me” I guess.
How are you doing on your goals? Anyone already screw up?
Until next time, put your credit card down and slowly step away from the mall!
Like what you see here? Tell your friends by sharing it with one of the buttons below. Post this to Facebook or Tweet it to help your friends and family, too. And don’t forget to send me an e-mail or comment to say hello. I love hearing from you.