I don’t know about you but I’m a sucker for numbers, lists, secrets and becoming a multimillionaire. So when I stumbled upon Entrepreneur’s seven secrets of self-made multimillionaires, I started giggling like a school girl… Surely, Entrepreneur must have some inside info on becoming a self-made multimillionaire, the only type of multimillionaire I have a chance of becoming (I don’t play the lottery and won’t have millions of dollars pass down from my parents (unless they win the lottery, which they play))…
Before we go into the list I see nothing wrong with wanting to become a multimillionaire, so don’t get all 99% on me :) I don’t care if you have two dollars or two billion dollars, a jerk is a jerk no matter how much money you got. I’m not a one percenter and don’t occupy anything but a rented two bedroom condo in Hoboken, NJ. I’m also not very political (that is, until I become El Presidente in 2033 (after winning the November 2032 election). Haha! So just be nice to people and we can be friends no matter how much cash you have…
So what are the secrets? And what do I think?
- Decide to Be a Multimillionaire. Done! Does that mean I’m 1/7 of the way there? Seriously though, a committed mindset is a powerful tool. Pretty odd that Mr. Cardone wrote “I am worth over $100,000,000!” Every day for years. But that’s dedication (or delusion) for sure.
- Get Rid of Poverty Thinking. Hey, he must know something I don’t but I see nothing wrong with thinking to not waste money or food. I do like getting rid of the thinking that money is scarce. There’s plenty of money out there people. And there’s plenty to go around. Just because you accumulate millions doesn’t mean it comes from someone else. There’s more than one pie out there…
- Treat it Like a Duty. Don’t be motivated just by money but by something bigger – something bigger than you. I like it. Money for the sake of money is pointless (and won’t work). So what are your reasons? I want to become a multimillionaire so we can travel, live by our rules (and the laws…), donate boat loads of cash to charities of our choosing (I actually have a dream of starting a charity involved in boating that starts with me donating a boat filled with cash… some day!).
- Surround Yourself with Multimillionaires. Is there a club or something? Sign me up. You’ve all heard of the “you’ll make within 20% of your 5 closest friends” theory, so this works with that, too. I do think you could learn great habits and get tons of great opportunities if you surround yourself with multimillionaires. Maybe I can wait tables at a multimillionaire club in NYC. If any of you know of one, let me know…
- Work Like a Millionaire. I’m really terrible at this. I definitely need to get better. “The wealthy know time is more valuable than money itself, so they hire people for things they’re not good at or aren’t a productive use of their time, such as household chores.” I’m way too cheap for this. I need to delegate more to free up time for me to make more cash and enjoy some time with the family.
- Shift Focus from Spending to Investing. This one I got! 2/7 of the way there? You know that feeling when you win a bottle of wine at the local KofC raffle? Or the feeling when you find the dress you’ve been trying to find for months – and it’s on sale! Or the feeling when box seats to Fenway Park land in your lap? Yeah, that’s the feeling I get buying mutual funds, ETFs or other investments. I’m always thinking of ways to create cash flow… sad?
- Create Multiple Flows of Income. Absolutely a must. I’ve been saying for years that way too much of my income comes from one gig. If I lose the gig I got little coming in, which is why I’m dedicated to growing at least two online sources of income this year. A few bucks have started trickling in here at SAFTM, but I’m still 99% reliant on my paycheck (and stocks I guess…) 3/7?
Hmmm…. seven secrets. I guess it’s a bit different than other lists out there, like those by Dr. Tom Stanley (I read everything Dr. Stanley publishes… you should too).
What do you think? How many of these are you rockin?
Oh, and I hope I can count on your vote in 2032…
Until next time, put your credit card down and slowly step away from the mall!
Like what you see here? Tell your friends by sharing it with one of the buttons below. Post this to Facebook or Tweet it to help your friends and family, too. And don’t forget to send me an e-mail or comment to say hello. I love hearing from you.
Also, please join our recently-started Facebook community where I hope to build a place where we can all share thoughts, successes and support. And don’t forget to follow me on twitter where you’ll find most of the posts, random thoughts by me and more. See you there!
Image: digitalart / FreeDigitalPhotos.net QJBGQK34KZ5P